Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Apparently weight loss with thyroid issues shouldn't be a difficult feat!

I just read an interesting article on this blog here:

Is Weight Loss With Thyroid Disease Possible?

It was quite a good read although the last line "Weight loss with thyroid disease shouldn’t be a difficult feat once the patient learns to adapt a well regulated lifestyle." pissed me off immensely because for many people it is a difficult feat, plain and simple.

Besides that though I found the article informative and reassuring.
It's main tips for weight loss with Thyroid Issues were:

* Exercise
Normal people can get away with 20 minutes 3 times per week, people with Thyroid problems need to do much more, not very bloody fair is it?
* Drink lots of water to boost metabolism.
* Eating fibre rich foods is also a metabolism booster.
* Eat smaller meals more often rather than larger meals infrequently.


As part of my diet/lifestyle change I am doing all of the above so perhaps that is why I am losing weight? I have toyed with the idea of going off the CS and just going it alone with a sensible diet and exercise but I don't know if that is a step I am ready for. According to the article, simple calorie control does not work for thyroid patients so there is a real fear to let the CS go, especially while it seems to be working quite well.

1 comment:

  1. losing weight w thyroid disease takes a lot especially if you've gone undiagnosed a long time like myself. for me it requires being on the right amount of thyroid meds (i'm on two..cytomel and levothroid), cutting back on all sugars, carbs, soy, etc. limiting caloric intake to about 1200-1400 a day. exercising 30 mins at least 5x a week and if i'm lucky, i'll lose a pound a week doing all this. avg weight loss per wk for hypothyroid patient is 1/2 pound. took me a long time to lose 13lbs. i usually try to keep track of things i eat because some tend to make me swell up.

    ReplyDelete